Offered Salary Competitive
Senior Manager, People Operations
The Wikimedia Foundation is a people-first organization, and the Talent and Culture department supports and empowers staff. The Talent and Culture team partners with our leaders to build an organization capable of meeting our vision and operating within our values. We are seeking a Senior Manager of People Operations who will help us grow and manage a diverse range of human resources programs, with a focus on managing the operational aspects of the employee life-cycle. This is a full-time position that can be based remotely or in our San Francisco office. The scope of this role is global and the job will require flexible working hours with specific time commitments to working office hours in the GMT or later time zones.
We are looking for candidates who have a deep knowledge of Human Resources practices across international borders with emphasis on compensation/total rewards, performance management, people analytics and their application in the entire employee life-cycle. The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate operational and team leadership excellence in these areas within an international HR shared services environment.
Note: While we value deep expertise in specific HR function areas, the primary mandate of this role is to develop and implement plans that will enhance operational and HR service delivery excellence. It is important that candidates demonstrate requisite expertise in these areas as part of their application for this role
Your key responsibilities:
- Provide strategic thought partnership on People Operations topics with a process and data-driven mindset to the HR Leadership Team
- Lead and manage a team to deliver on key HR processes connected with the employee life-cycle at the Foundation. Examples of such proceedings include onboarding, personal data/information updation, compensation/job title reviews, offboarding, etc.
- Contribute to the development and iteration of our organizational HR policies and practices and lead the implementation of these within the team
- Lead the iteration of our compensation/total rewards frameworks and manage the changes associated with the execution
- Support the People Experience / Talent Management team in rolling out the organization-wide performance management process and be responsible for the implications of these on individual compensation for all staff members globally
- Work in tandem with the HR project management Lead on new projects and programs, including the implementation of Project Atlas , and the rollout of future HRIS functions
- Manage the relationship with the EOR vendor to ensure a positive experience for non-US staff members
- Advise on employee life-cycle processes for staff and cross-functional partners
- Cross-train, along with other members in T&C, in multiple HR functions, to ensure resilience of service to staff & leadership. Serve as a secondary support for T&C related teams, including recruiting, diversity and inclusion, career pathing, performance, engagement, etc. as needed
- Partner cross-functionally with other departments such as Finance on cross-departmental workflows and initiatives
Skills and Experience:
- More than 10 years of progressive experience within the HR function of large international organizations. Experience as a compensation / total rewards or HR process/operations consultant to the HR team will be desirable
- At least three years of experience in managing an HR function/delivery team, ideally across international borders
- Experience directly supporting a global organization in 10+ countries around the world with direct knowledge of employment practices, labor laws, benefits etc.
- Experience managing operational transactions at scale within SLAs while handling confidential/sensitive information with grace and care
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team, including being adaptable to work with a variety of personalities and nationalities
- Proven track record to partner cross-functionally and build consensus within a team
- Strong attention to detail, and proven track record of meeting deadlines
- Ability to work within a digital decentralized organization
- Ability to work in an open and collaborative environment, while respecting HR confidentiality
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience within HR, Psychology, Communications or related fields
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Experience in an international non-profit environment
- Experience with Namely HRIS & payroll
- Experience in harmonizing benefits across a global organization
- Ability to work remotely and in a flexible manner across different time zones and with a globally distributed organization
- Sense of humor is always valued!
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected] or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Health Care Benefits Covered at 100%: We cover 100% of premiums for medical, dental and vision plans for all full time employees and eligible dependents
- Wellness Reimbursement Program: Up to 1,800.00 USD per year for reimbursement for staff wellness expenses, such as gym fees, educational expenses, and more
- Technology and Equipment Stipend: In addition to receiving a brand new laptop, monitor, & docking station, all new hires receive 600.00 USD stipend to set up their space for working virtually
- Professional Development Program: Up to 750.00 USD reimbursement per year to encourage continuous learning through attending conferences, courses, workshops and the purchase of educational materials
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: Employer match of up to 4% of employee contributions dollar for dollar with no vesting period
- Paid Time Off: Generous paid time off policy of over 45 days, which includes: vacation days, at least one observed holiday a month, sick leave, and volunteer days
- Flexible Schedules: Options available to balance your personal and remote-work life
- Silent Fridays: No scheduled meetings so you can get caught up at the end of each week
- New Parent Leave: Fully paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, and flexible options as you embark on your return to work
- Fertility and Adoption Reimbursement Plan: Reimburses staff up to 5,000.00 USD in expenses per year, with a lifetime maximum of 10,000.00 USD
- Assistance for those unexpected life events: Long and short term disability, life insurance, and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax Savings Plans: Generously funded health savings accounts (HSAs), pre-tax contribution options for health care, child care & elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.