Offered Salary Competitive
Title: Copy Editor
Location: United States – Remote
We are Voyager Sopris Learning®, a Cambium Learning® Group company.
With more than 20 education products, our company focuses primarily on professional learning, curriculum, intervention, and assessment for literacy and mathematics. Our innovative services and blended learning solutions help teachers deploy best practices for evidenced-based instruction, and help students align with those practices. We inform better instruction by providing greater insight on student proficiency for essential reading, math, and science skills.
We’re currently looking for a variety of talented individuals to join our dedicated team.
Lexia Learning is looking for a skilled, full-time Copy Editor who thrives in a fast-paced environment. As part of our team, you will help maintain consistency and accuracy in educational curricula according to company and product-specific style guides as well as The Chicago Manual of Style; work with editors and authors to meet deadlines and deliver quality print and online products; provide quality assurance checks for online content and make changes using company content management software; and be comfortable working on multiple and overlapping copyediting projects and reprint tasks.
- Use company and product-specific style guides and The Chicago Manual of Style to edit educational curricula and materials for pre-kindergarten through high school as well as professional development and collaborate with other departments to maintain consistent style (i.e. copyright, logos, titles) in published materials
- Work with Editorial, Design, Production, and Technology Development designers as well as Product Managers to follow product-specific styles and identify appropriate changes to be made during online editing and/or page production, balancing cost-effectiveness, quality control, and deadline issues
- Participate in the development of editorial processes; complete copyediting stages of the schedule as assigned
- Participate in launch meetings for all products; develop checklists for copyediting during content production
- Participate in weekly status meetings to track progress as well as to identify issues and solve potential problems
- Participate in diversity, equity, and inclusion team meetings and edit products with DE&I as a priority
- Multitask to prioritize and edit multiple projects and maintain ongoing communication with senior copy editors to provide quality control of products in development
- Assist in proofreading reprint corrections for printing, working with Manufacturing and Design and Production departments to deliver corrected, up-to-date copy files within scheduled timeframes
- Work with copyediting staff and other department staff as needed on new technologies to increase business efficiencies
- Work with other publishing staff and engineers inside content management tools to create new products, configure online problems, create closed captioning for videos, and edit content as well as perform quality assurance checks
- Bachelor’s degree in English or Journalism preferred
- Minimum of 3-5 years copyediting experience, preferably in ed tech publishing
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Google drive, online CMS programs, and Adobe Acrobat
- Ability to problem solve and work collaboratively across departments
- Strong written communication and interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with all aspects of the editorial process